IMSE Intermediate Orton-Gillingham Training (30 hours)
The IMSE Intermediate training provides participants with an understanding of IMSE’s Orton-Gillingham methodology specifically designed for upper elementary or older students who require foundational reading skills and continue to struggle in literacy development. Participants will learn how to teach advanced spelling rules, encoding/decoding with seven syllable types, morphology, and vocabulary. This course offers more of an in-depth study on orthography (advanced spelling rules) and morphology (affixes, Greek/Latin bases) for struggling students, but will include some phonics as well. This approach can be incorporated into an already existing literacy program. *See note below about overlap between the Comprehensive and Intermediate courses.
The Intermediate course is primarily geared towards upper elementary aged students and/or students who lack a basic knowledge of orthography, morphology, and vocabulary. This course is applicable for all three tiers of RTI. Therefore, the course is for:
Participants will learn:
- Higher level spelling rules
- Syllabication patterns for encoding and decoding
- Morphology- affixes, Latin and Greek bases
- Guidelines for weekly lesson plans
- IMSE Intermediate Training Manual
- Unlocking Literacy by Marcia Henry
- Vocabulary Handbook by Diamond and Gutlohn
- IMSE Encoding and Decoding Teacher Guide and Student Workbook
- IMSE Morphology Card Pack
- 3 week trial of IOG (available for purchase after trial)
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- Red and green colored pencil
- 3-4 highlighters
- Sticky notes
- Notebook/device for notetaking
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMPORTANT: Virtual trainings are run via ZOOM. You must create a ZOOM account with the email you used to register in order to access your training. You will receive an email from IMSE with important information the Thursday before your training begins. If you do not receive it, please check your spam. Please follow the directions in order to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the app for Chromebook in order to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework. If you do not have administrative access to download apps on your Chromebook, you may want to discuss with your school’s IT prior to the meeting. Here is a link: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/213298746-Getting-Started-On-Chrome-OS. Using Chromebook for ZOOM is not ideal, but manageable.
- Training supplies are the same as our in-person courses and will be mailed directly to you. It is important that your home address is submitted.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to do partner work with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- IMSE is keeping Virtual Training class sizes small (around 30 people or less), so participants will be able to form connections with the instructor and other participants
- Since there will not be an opportunity to practice face-to-face, you will be required to submit a short 10-minute video of yourself practicing what you learned each day. You will create and share a folder on Google Driver, then upload the video to the folder each day. Daily readings and Learning Outcomes will also be submitted.
- Graduate credits are available for virtual trainings through Ashland University or Adam State University
IMSE OG Weekly:
In addition to the above materials, participants who complete the training will automatically be eligible to receive OG Weekly, IMSE's weekly email support system, designed to provide continued guidance after the completion of your training.
Register For This Course
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.